Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Backpacks


Without A backpack your not going to get very far. Depending on what kind of hiking your planning on doing, and how far you plan to travel eliminates a lot of options. I personally own four expedition quality backpacks that I use for multiple purposes. The biggest misake that you can make while chosing a pack is going for the "bells and whistles" The more pockets you have, the more likely you are going to try to fill them up, and ounces add up to pounds. The pack that I own is a Nimbus Meridian, by Granite Gear. It weights 3lbs 8oz, can hold up to 60 liters or 3,800 cubic inches and has a load capacity of 40lbs.

I would climb to the roof of the world with that backpack but everyone is different. What works for me might not work for you. Hiking is all about being comfortable and having the right backpack is square one. Make sure to get you pack fitted to your back, any quality outfitter is capable of helping you fit a backpack.

Ultralight hiking takes a lot of trial and error. You dont want to get a pack and underfill it, but thats better than getting too small of a pack and overfilling it. Start off with a cheaper backpack until you are comfortable with all its contents.

Don't just throw all your stuff inside and snap the lid shut. Make a routine of putting the same things in the same order from bottom to top. I pack my backpack according to what I need throughout the day. My sleeping bag is obviously at the bottom because I only need it when I'm setting up camp. It wouldnt make any sense to unpack all my stuff just to get a snack, and then re-pack it all again.

No comments:

Post a Comment